The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and more

What can I say except that this is a lovely book. If you are looking to immerse yourself in english culture than take the time to read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. A quick read but a story that will take you places in more ways than one. As I was reading it I recalled another book written in a similar fashion.  I managed to find a copy of 84, Charring Cross Road by Helene Hanff in a local used book shop. 


I was delighted to find an old newspaper book review (1970) tucked away in the middle of the book and quickly read on. Once I finished 84, Charring Cross Road  I was eager for more. I discovered The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street (1973). 
 
It is in follow up to 84 Charring Cross Road...
she finally makes it to London. 
I will say no more except to read them all. 
Would love to hear your thoughts when you are done!
Images via Google

1 comment:

  1. I've read that first one and really enjoyed it. Despite growing up in the UK, I had literally no idea how much Guernsey suffered during the war. And it's such an intriguing title!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget