21 September 2013

Poets Corner: William and Dorothy Wordsworth



One of my favourite spots in the  English Lakes District 
is  Grasmere in Cumbria.
The photos here were taken around Dove Cottage
home for several years to William Wordsworth and his sister Dorothy. 
They both wrote about life in and around
 this quintessential English village.
I highly recommend a visit..if only to step back in time.














William Wordsworth...

I wandered lonely as a Cloud
That floats on high o'er Vales and Hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd
A host of dancing Daffodils;
Along the Lake, beneath the trees,
Ten thousand dancing in the breeze


Dorothy Wordsworth...

When we were in the woods beyond
Gowbarrow Park we saw a few daffodils 
close to the water-side...as we went along 
there were more and yet more.
I never saw daffodils so beautiful
.they looked so gay, ever glancing,
ever changing. The wind blew
directly over the lake to them.



images~ J. Henriques


5 comments:

  1. Great photos - you really captured the "feel" of it. It seems as though we can step right in and see what lies around that bend. Wonderful... though you do make me long to see England.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful and your images are as well. I love that old stone wall with the creeping vines!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos Jeanne - hope you have enjoyed the spectacle of the spring daffodils...I notice that they are mostly past their best and soon, soon the woods will be a profusion of bluebells. Make sure you find a bluebell wood when they are fully in bloom, walk to the centre of it and breathe in deeply...I promise you a sense sensation...the perfume and the sight too...x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh you were so close to me.....I'm waving now, looks like you are having a lovely time x
    Hugs Lynn xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi jeanne,
    William Wordsworth, my favorite poet in my young years, still. I memorized the Daffodils, She was a Phantom of Delight, Tintern Abbey, and others. I thanked my high school English teacher for bringing Wordsworth to me. And to you for bringing back happy memories.

    Thank you for the beautiful photos.
    Best wishes,
    edgar

    ReplyDelete

Share it