The Lake District: Hutton-in-the-Forest









It felt like time was standing still the day we visited Hutton-in-the-Forest.
 It was early spring and we arrived an hour before closing. 
Not a soul was in sight except for two caretakers attending the gardens.
We wondered if they could possibly be the owners.
There was something about them....

We took our time, taking it all in. 
You couldn't help but wonder of the families, children and animals 
that played on these grounds before us. 
The house dates back to 1637.
I wandered in the woods and came across five little gravestones, 
markers for family pets dating back to 1890. 
I wondered about the boy or girl who played with 'Nell' 
and the tears they would have shed at her passing.

It is like that everywhere I go in England. 
You can't help but want to live in the past...if only for a moment.

I think of Hutton-in-the-Forest and how it will look on a summer's day.
I am sure it will be magnificent.
If you travel to the English Lake District this summer, 
travel to this wonderful estate in Penrith, Cumbria.
Be sure to write and tell me about it, I would love to know.




Images 1-6: me
Images 7-8: here

4 comments:

  1. Jeanne, Another English beauty, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do make a girl want to go to England, my dear! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea that such buildings have been standing for centuries and centuries. I had the opportunity to visit England once, and while I was there, felt as though I was drowning in history. It was so beautiful, and so romantic to our modern eyes. Yet how different, and difficult life was then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I knew Cumbria so well until now, this is a very remote corner that i'll have to check out, thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget