England: Stonehenge



I heard mixed reviews about Stonehenge.
It brought mack memories of my comment a few years
back, before seeing Uluru* in Australia.
'It is just a rock' I said to the travel agent.
'Can't we fly over it on our way to Broome 
and just look out the window'?

I am so thankful she said 'no'.
It was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.
I now love rocks, not sure why, but I find them fascinating. 
I could not wait to see Stonehenge and I was not disappointed.

You just have to open your eyes and look
...there is so much to see.







**Stonehenge is Britain's greatest ancient temple, 
dating from about 3000 to 1600 BC.
The enclosure was aligned to face the midsummer sunrise 
in one direction and the midwinter sunset in the opposite direction. 
The stones are said to have come from as far as west Wales 
and arranged in about 2300 BC. 
The ariel view of Stonehenge is just as remarkable 
as the structure at ground level.



*Uluru, Australia

Images
Stonehenge~ me

6 comments:

  1. I so agree with you. One of the most magical days we had in England was our day in Salisbury. We began with a very cold tour of Stonehenge (it was the day before Winter Solstice) and then we went to a thatched-roof pub for a pint and then we spent the afternoon at Salisbury cathedral. I will never forget that day for the rest of my life.

    Thanks for the reminder of that perfect day.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jeanne when I went to see them it was years ago, you could actually go amongst them and touch them, it was magical. Now I believe the stones are cordoned off.
    Roman Polanskis 'Tess Of The Durbevilles'(great film) has a fabulous end scene shot at Stonehenge.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still remember the first time I saw Stonehenge. That was back when you could still wander through the stones. Is that allowed now? For a little girl raised on Arthurian legends... it was a magical place to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see dear Stonehenge - it's around 35 mins from me when I am in UK and I drive by so often. When I was younger, as Dash says, you could go right up to the stones and touch them. Nevertheless it is still an eerie and quite magical place. Quite special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the haunting beauty of Stonehenge! Thank you for posting, Jeanne, and reviving memories of my visit about 18 years ago! There certainly is a mystic/magical aura there, which you captured in your wonderful photos...Cassandra ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just another reason why I must visit England soon! Great photos, Jeanne! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget