A Country Day



The best part about moving to a new area is the time you get to spend exploring.
I am hoping the momentum will stay with us as I have a long list and it seems to get longer by the day.
Today we spent Father's Day in Godalming along the River Wey in Surrey.

are affiliated with the National Trust. The history of the Wey River dates back
 to 1653 and was one of the first British rivers to be made navigable.

Barges were at one time used to to transport heavy goods via the Thames River to London.
Today people use them as pleasure boats or for commercial purposes.

This fellow was nice enough to give me a smile as I passed by.

I had to google this one...
Ben My Chree translates to "Lady of My Heart" and was a packet steamer 
for the Royal Navy seaplane carrier in the First World War.

I couldn't resist Mr. Baggins. 
I am contemplating another journey to New Zealand next month and
There and Back Again feels like the story of my life at the moment:)

Another one that I just had to snap. He was a character.

I am not so sure that they found the dog as amusing as I !


Curious things were happening in Godalming.
We passed 'The Rectory' with this statue perched at the front door...

and then Weddington Boots in a bridal shop window...

followed by this pillow in the shop next door.

This was a first for me...cone shaped baskets..curious.

We stopped in at  Winkworth Arboretum, a National Trust Property 
with over 1000 different shrubs and trees. It is a beautiful spot for a picnic.


I was taken by this little boy across the way...he was having the time of his life.

From there we made our way home. 
I have to say I love exploring 
but it is always nice to come home at the end of the day.

Our garden was waiting

and last by not least, 
the Sunday newspaper,
a perfect end to the day.

images~me

9 comments:

  1. Pictures of a perfect English day.
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a fabulous Sunday! Great pictures-thanks for sharing them.

    A trip down under soon? You are a busy thing aren't you!

    Best wishes for a lovely week,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you are exploring your new home. How long have you lived there? My husband and I have always wanted to rent a boat on the Thames. What a happy Father's Day you had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how lovely and it looks like a day full of sunshine too in many ways! Love the dog! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jeanne,

    Looking at your images of Winkworth Arboretum, I cannot help but be reminded of the beautiful scenery in the British Masterpiece dramas and even tonight, a Sunday evening I am treated to the British landscape and architecture in Miss Marple, BBC production of Mystery.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Egmont

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous day you had Jeanne! Glad you enjoying everything a beautiful English summer has to offer - these are the days I yearned for when we lived in Aus and dreamed about....wasn't it just perfect yesterday? Please do let me know the name of the shop with the 'your husband rang' cushion...I just have to have it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, this is about as English as it gets! Wonderful photos, thanks for the tug on my heart strings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. I must admit that I do envy Brits their fabulous National Trust, that seems to do such a wonderful job preserving and protecting old estates. Unfortunately, we Americans do not have that same sort of determination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those barges. Imagine having one of them to live on, or as a weekender... I can see me on a little window seat reading as hubby drives the boat along while wearing a little cap and smoking a pipe...

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget