Upstairs Downstairs



I finally got around to seeing the recent revival of the 1970's BBC series,  Upstairs Downstairs
I have to admit I have never seen the original. I wince when I say that as I know 
 British readers will think that incredulous! I now can't see it fast enough. 
This three part series left me wanting more of both the original and the new series. 


It has everything a good drama should have. Perfect casting, superb set design, 
a great storyline which is all wrapped up to leave you wanting more. 
I am keeping my fingers crossed that BBC will do just that. I may be slow 
on the uptake but there seems to be a lot of these three part series which end
with no indication of what will happen next. The new Sherlock with 
Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman was another one.
Loved it...but what comes next?

Back to Upstairs Downstairs....
What I loved most was seeing Dame Eileen Atkins.
I loved her in Cranford and even more here. She plays Maud Holland,
an eccentric upper class Englishwoman who after spending years
with the British Raj in India, comes home to roost and that she does.
Her presence is felt everywhere she goes and her opinions
made me giggle thru every episode. She's got moxie and she is brilliant!
See here:


I am slowly getting the hang of these British dramas. 
They have me hook, line and sinker. 
I managed to watch quite a few over the holidays. 
I guess that was the upswing of being unwell over that time. 
Here are a few that have moved to the top of my favourites list.


I am looking for more suggestions. 
Do you have any favourites?


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great list, Jeanne. I love BBC series. I would add "Wives and Daughters" to that list, as well.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait for the new Upstairs, Downstairs. I saw the old one, in reruns years later, and was addicted to it.

    We also love Doc Martin here. Have you seen that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was too young when Upstairs Downstairs aired. (I'm sure you were too!) But Downton Abbey just started playing here last week. I have recorded the first two to watch when I have a spare moment. (Hope that comes soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeanne I think you will like these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBC-Classics-Collection-vol-mini-/dp/B000USKUUC/ref=sr_1_7?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1295339827&sr=1-7

    And this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camomile-Lawn-DVD-Felicity-Kendal/dp/B00158FK24/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1295340002&sr=1-1

    Some excellent viewing there! Lots of L & Ks
    Dash.
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes my parents said how much they enjoyed this. I remember watching the origninal - it seemed very racey and I was allowed to stay up and watch it!!Enjoy... My friend gave me Downton Abbey on DVD for Xmas - I will love it I am sure. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Jeanne! 'The Forsyte Saga' was absolutely gripping. And superbly cast. Sigh. So pleased you enjoyed it, too. J x

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you like 1920s fashion, I would recommend The House of Elliott, which was made in the 1990s. I really enjoyed it.

    Lark Rise to Candleford and Cranford were both wonderful. We're currently enjoying Downton Abbey here in the states.

    If you're interesting in shows that aren't period, but are wonderful nonetheless, I recommend As Time Goes By, starring Dame Judy Dench. She is such a pleasure to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love a good BBC miniseries! I would have to second Wives and Daughters. Every time I get to the last episode, I want to start the whole series over again. :)
    I also love The Way We Live Now (Anthony Trollope). I've been hearing lots about Lark Rise to Candleford...I think it will be next on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and I have been watching "Doc Martin". It's set in a small contemporary Cornish village in England. The doc, formerly a brilliant surgeon suddenly becomes ill at the mere sight of blood. His recourse is to become the GP in this small town. He has relationship issues which means he has no bedside manner. However, the town comes to appreciate him and there is a love interest as well.I'ts great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't watch much TV as a rule, but I have fallen hard for Downton Abbey; am bereft that the second session is already over. I love Eileen Atkins as well, so I can see I need to get onto Upstairs Downstairs. You're teaching me very bad habits, you know.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget