Winston Churchill and his Clementine


I can not think of a better way to end a relaxing day at home. It was a great week, a long week. I covered a lot of territory around London and I have to admit that this Hip Hop Happening Mama is plum tuckered out! My trusty pedometer was by my side, clocking up nearly 15km around the city.

I wasn't sure what I would write about today. I have so many thoughts floating around that it seemed impossible to decide on one. It then became clear when I saw an old photograph of Vanessa Redgrave at Chris Beetles Gallery yesterday. I wrote about her here.

As chance would have it, we picked a family movie tonight and it was The Gathering Storm. Vanessa Redgrave plays the brilliant Clementine and my next post was determined. I could not wait to come and tell those of you who enjoy English classics to see this film as it is wonderful!

The Gathering Storm was released in 2002. It is a love story of sorts between Winston Churchill and his Clementine, the love of his life. The period in time is just leading up to WWII with the majority of their time spent in their beautiful country home,  Chartwell, in Kent. You can watch the Trailer here.

via Wikimedia

Those of you who enjoy English classics will recognise this all star cast. Albert Finney, 
Vanessa Redgrave, Jim Broadbent, Ronnie Barker, Tom Wilkinson, Linus Roache and
 Celia Imre to name a few.
A fantastic performance by all and especially Albert Finney as Winston Churchill.



Winston and Clementine Churchill at Chartwell, Kent


If you have not been to Chartwell, I encourage you to see it someday.
I absolutely loved it and I am sure you will too!
I took the following photographs during our visit...







See the movie, visit Chartwell or both, I promise
you will not be disappointed!



You can read my post, 
Admiring: Vanessa Redgrave 


Images:
Top- Wikimedia
Second- Life
Video- You Tube
All others ~ me
with exception of last,
see post for details.


6 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this movie! The Mister did too! We think Albert Finney and Vanessa Redgrave did a superb job! Wish I could visit Chartwell. Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation.. have to put this film on my list. Sounds heaps better than Eat, Pray and Love we watched on DVD last night!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne fab posts and tweets today - all very interesting! We have visited Chartwell and absolutely loved it a really magic place and you can almost feel the history! Have you been to Charleston in Sussex? It was the home of Vanessa Bell and the Bloomsbury Group of artists - really worth a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will look this up...looks like facsinating watching...loved the clip. Love Vanessa Redgrave and Albert Finney so it should be good. Thanks for the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this movie . . . I have read many of their charming letters.

    Thanks for the recommendation, Jeanne.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget