Chelsea on my mind and a little Joni Mitchell






I have Chelsea on my mind, the Chelsea Flower Show to be exact. My catalogue arrived in the mail today. I have been eagerly circling, folding and marking the things I would like to see. In the spirit of the Chelsea Flower Show and just because I love Joni Mitchell....I bring you her 1969 rendition of Chelsea Morning.

Chelsea Morning

Woke up , it was a Chelsea morning, and the first thing that I heard
Was a song outside my window, and the traffic wrote the words
It came a-reeling up like Christmas bells, and rapping up like pipes and drums

Oh, won't you stay
We'll put on the day
And we'll wear it 'till the night comes

Woke up , it was a Chelsea morning, and the first thing that I saw
Was the sun through yellow curtains, and a rainbow on the wall
Blue, red, green and gold to welcome you, crimson crystal beads to beckon

Oh, won't you stay
We'll put on the day
There's a sun show every second

Now the curtain opens on a portrait of today
And the streets are paved with passersby
And pigeons fly
And papers lie
Waiting to blow away

Woke up, it was a Chelsea morning, and the first thing that I know
There was milk and toast an d honey and a bowl of oranges, too
And the sun poured in like butterscotch and stuck to all my senses
Oh, won't you stay
We'll put on the day
And we'll talk in present tenses

When the curtain closes and the rainbow runs away
I will bring you incense owls by night
By candlelight
By jewel-light
If only you will stay
Pretty baby, won't you
Wake up, it's a Chelsea Morning

8 comments:

  1. Good morning Jeanne....I loved this song by Joni Mitchell. I can't believe you have posted this....I watched a documentary on her life just 2 days ago on Net Flix. I learned things about her I did not know.....ah.....like minds!!

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a lovely post! Dave and I went to the Chelsea Garden Show last year and got as far as the entrance where we discovered we should have purchased tickets a year in advance. It was a lovely day in spite of our ignorance and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The next day we returned home but with all those lovely memories and my charity store sewing machine waiting on me when we got home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Joni and love that song......how nice to wake up to
    a Chelsea morning and visit the flower show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I would love to join you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh that time again already. So love the Chelsea Flower show and hope to go again one day. Enjoy Jeanne - just a tad envious here! XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best!

    First, just to walk under that cathedral of trees would be a blessing, but to see all these glorious flowers along with that would be heaven on earth!

    And this song, oh, Joni!

    There was milk and toast and honey and a bowl of oranges, too
    And the sun poured in like butterscotch and stuck to all my senses
    Oh, won't you stay
    We'll put on the day
    And we'll talk in present tenses

    Present tenses, indeed! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going for the first time. I can't wait!! XOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this song! The garden show is going to be so wonderful...what a treat!
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget