A Literature Festival and London Review of Books

The river Thames en route to Richmond with a stopover at Petersham's Nurseries. :) here

This morning my daughter and I were having one of those great
philosophical discussions while driving along the back roads of Surrey.
If you ever feel the need to have a heart to heart conversation
with one of your children..or anyone for that matter, 
 save it for a long car ride.

We were talking about people and judging them before you have had a chance to get
to know them. Said I, in all my motherly wisdom, "things are often not what they appear"
to which I added 'You can not judge a book by it's cover'.

Morning drive over and I am home with my morning coffee, 
reading over a fantastic brochure I picked up in Richmond last week
for the Richmond Upon Thames Literature Festival 
running from the 3-27 November 2011.
You can read all about it here.



There is so much on offer that it is hard to choose.
This is what I have marked so far..

Anne Sebba and 'That Woman: The Life of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor'
Sheila Rowbotham: 'Dreamers of a New Day'
Lisa Chaney: 'Chanel Biography'
'The River Podcast' with Amy Redmond, Radio 1 producer

I also discovered the London Review of Books
Where have I been all this time to have missed this?
Blogging?

Each issue contains up to 15 long reviews and essays by academics, 
writers and journalists in addition to art and film reviews, 
poems and a 'lively letters' page.

Add to this a bookshop and cake shop in Bloomsbury.
14 Bury Place
London
WC1A2JL

I thought how I professed this morning to my daughter that
you can not judge a book by it's cover....
In this case, I would say that you could!

The artist and writer Peter Campbell has been creating 
the covers since 1992. Each one is a work of art.
I love that he hails from New Zealand as well.












 I'm in...if you are interested in subscribing too, 
please read the advertisement below, it caught my eye
and the result is a subscription and this post. :)



Best wishes to one and all for a wonderful weekend.
We have had spectacular 'Indian Summer' like weather
here in Surrey with sunny skies and warm weather
forecasted for the weekend.
Glorious!


top image~me
all others via London Review of Books



4 comments:

  1. "Alan Bennett and the Mustard Squirter"!!
    Oh, that caught my eye immediately. I do wish I could get the LRB here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Pamela, I would love to get LBR here, I will have to ask at Barnes and Nobel if they carry it, or perhaps a bookstore would have it in NY.

    I laughed at your comment about having your kids in the car to have a discussion, my mother always did that and she still does! Actually, whenever I visit Milwaukee we do that, we drive around, she with her coffee and I with my cocoa and we look at house, talk, stop for dinner and just enjoy one another when there is no one else around. I love it.

    Thank you so much for all of your kind comments, you are so sweet. I hope you enjoy the book. I really enjoyed it and thought it fitting after a trip to the Loire Valley. I love Alice's books, they are magical and her sense of adventure is inspiring.

    Take care and enjoy the weekend. Be safe on your trip to India!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indian summer here in Copenhagen as well. The covers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'll have to check that out!
    You always have such good England tips. :)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget