nomad...thinker...writer...girl....






CHRISTY 
nomad. thinker. writer. girl.


Mothers talk and when they do, one thing leads to another...and here we are.
Glenda @ Gg-notes on the journey and I have been blogging buddies for a while now.
She is gracious, warm and like me, has lived the expat life. 



When Glenda wrote to say that her Christy was moving to England, 
I offered to lend a welcoming hand. As Christy lives a distance from me 
I thought I would welcome her by way of this post.  Christy has a great blog, 
where she writes about her experiences as she settles into life in England.
I can relate to that. :)



Christy is a huge fan of the Duchess of Cambridge 
and has a great collection of photos. 




Christy is in England to become a missionary. 
She is a girl with heart.

She writes
"I've just moved to England to be a missionary and 
Katherine-Hepburn-style office girl (like in 'Desk Set')". 


Scene from the movie 'Desk Set'
I can relate to that too!


I started to think of all the advise I could give to Christy. 
I have cornered the market on travel books and have so many thoughts 
that I do not know where to begin.




I then looked at Christy's blog 
and realised she could teach me a thing or two!
She has many great suggestions which you can read here.






I am so inspired by Christy that I am in the midst of 
developing a series of Travel Diaries with all my favourite
spots around England and beyond. It has proved to be a bit
more challenging that I thought...so stay tuned.

In the meantime, 
my advice to Christy as a new expat settling into a country.
(she is a pro at this, being a TCK, but I will say it anyways, more here)

Smile
Keep your eyes open.
Never leave home without a camera,
a small journal and pen.
Talk to people, look for stories.
Pay attention to the little things.
Write, write and write some more.
Keep in touch with friends from home.
Make new friends.
When blue, make a point of going someplace new.
I did not mean for that to rhyme ;)
 Buy postcards!
Write postcards and post them.
Look for the unusual.
Find out people's stories.
Start the day looking for a story.
They happen when you least expect it.
Keep a record of all your favourite places.
Write about them.
Say hello to your mother for me.
Smile

Yes..I know they are quite simple
but they work!

To Christy, I send my very best and hopes that
we meet someday. 

Before I go...there is one more


Glenda is blessed with two beautiful and talented daughters.

You can meet Jenny 



Signing off to work on my Travel Diaries....

Jeanne xxx

Images via Christy's blog
Desk Set image via The Movie Scene



9 comments:

  1. Off to check out the blogs. Looking forward to your travel diaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much, jeanne -- i love your tips! what a royal welcome this is. :)
    i love the idea of watching for people's stories, what a sweet way to go about your day.
    thank you!
    christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice welcome. I will go check out here blog.

    e

    P.S. Really excited to see your travel journal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great post, not only do we learn about 3 new blogs we get to see how the blog mother network works. What a lucky girl that her mom has reached out to you to welcome her precious daughter to England.

    I am anxious to see your new travel diaries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, you sweet thing, Jeanne. What a lovely cozy welcome you have given Christy and a sweet mention of the other Childers'women, too.

    I love your practical ideas. And simple is perfect. When you first move who has energy for anything complicated.

    I am so happy to be able to hear more of your life in your travel diaries. Yeah.

    I bought Christy The Weekend Book, ages ago when you blogged about it.

    This thoughtful gesture means a lot to this mom . . . across the pond.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed reading your blog, but never moreso than today! Those super talented girls, Christy and Jenny are my nieces! I'm looking forward to hearing about your and Christy's adventures as I live vicariously through you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From SARA (apologies, nimble fingers accidentally deleted this one.. Silly iPhone :)


    I've enjoyed reading your blog, but never moreso than today! Those super talented girls, Christy and Jenny are my nieces! I'm looking forward to hearing about your and Christy's adventures as I live vicariously through you both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely list you are passing along to her. Might I add... comfortable shoes! A must!

    And I'm crazy for your idea of a travel diary!! I'd love one penned by you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've already had the pleasure of 'meeting' Christy, but how exciting to read about your upcoming series! Looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget