Secret Places: Dennis Severs' House


SHHHHH....




She whispers...
I wanted to write all about it, let you in on the secret, but I think
this is the sort of place you have to discover on you own.
When you arrive at the Dennis Severs' House, you will find
this ominous black door awaiting you.
Your first thought is...do I dare enter?



Just below the door knocker...


I wondered what I was getting myself into. My blogging friend, 
'you must see the Dennis Severs' House, it is like no other!' 
I trust Pamela's judgement explicitly.


I looked up for a glimpse of what was to be... and entered.

Having lingered as long as I could, I left as quietly as I entered.
There was just so much to see, I did not want to miss a single thing.
But I did, I am sure.


The next group was waiting to go in. 
I was happy, I left with this book tucked under my arm 
with plans to return one day.


More on the book, here.


'This is a book for anyone who likes to sit by the fire with a glass of wine 
and not worry too much about the fashions of the world. Fashions come and go, 
but there are permanencies of the spirit that join humanity through time--and it was 
such permanencies, vulnerable and often forgotten, that Dennis sought to communicate' 
Jeanette Winterson, THE TIMES

I send my thanks to Pamela for suggesting this wonderful adventure. :)

top images~me
bottom image as noted above.



6 comments:

  1. I fell in love with this place based on the front door, the image peaking out from the window, and the lovely glimpse on the cover of the book.

    But then I read

    Fashions come and go,
    but there are permanencies of the spirit that join humanity through time--and it was
    such permanencies, vulnerable and often forgotten, that Dennis sought to communicate

    Which made me want to know Dennis and his house. Thanks for this beautiful tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am longing to go....it's on my 'to do' list that seems to be getting longer and longer! xv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful. It's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's official - I am coming to visit and hiring you on as tour guide! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many stories hiding in the corners.
    I'm thrilled you went!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating! I'm spellbound by the mere idea, so I cannot imagine what the experience must be like. I'm hoping to find his book to purchase. No luck yet. But it sounds like the perfect autumn/winter read!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget