Charles Dickens and Little Dorrit

If you are like me and like to curl up with a good book every now and again....and even better with a great English TV drama, than I highly recommend the BBC production of Litte Dorrit by Charles Dickens. In fact, I discovered the show via a comment on my blog. I just love this blogging world!

I was especially thrilled to see Matthew MacFadyen in this series. I am a big fan of his which resulted in my daughter sighing in embarrassment when I spotted him in a restaurant a few months ago.  She decided that having her mother stare a a good looking younger man throughout a meal was not much fun for her....but, it was for me. :) I digress....back to the show.












The think about Charles....he tells a good tale. They are full of mystery and intrigue.The people, the places, the story line...I have to say, it was very hard to stop myself during this series. I could have easily watched the entire production all the way through...it was that entertaining. My only disappointment was that it ended. I wish it hadn't.


This is just the beginning in a series of events around Charles Dickens. In 2012, we celebrate his 200th birthday with a retrospective. The events around London are starting to take shape and form. I am particularly keen to get over to the British Library to view an exhibitions that starts today and runs thru 4 March 2012, 'A Hankering after Ghosts: Charles Dickens and the Supernatural'. More information here. The Charles Dickens Museum is also on my 'to do' list and of course...books, books, books...the following have received honorable mentions recently.

REVIEW HERE

REVIEW HERE
REVIEW HERE

Do you have a favourite Charles Dickens story? 
Do tell, I would love to hear!

images: 12-3

8 comments:

  1. I was completely hooked on "Little Dorrit". I was so sad when I watched the last episode. I watched it for its marvelous plot but I would love to watch it again for its wonderful time-period details. Stuck here in the U.S., I have to do what I have to do while waiting for "Downtown Abbey" to get here. Cruising through "Bramwell" now but one needs a strong stomach to watch medical procedures of the turn-of-the-century!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah...I enjoyed "Bramwell" too! Not long before 'Downton Abbey' makes it to the USA :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I grew up reading Charles Dickens, and I just love him! That was my only complaint about *Little Dorrit* too . . . that it ended. Check out the BBC's *Bleak House* too (although, I would suggest reading it first). It's one of my all time favorite Dicken's novels. You'll fall in love with Esther Summerson just as much as Amy Dorrit. I'm SOOOO very envious of your ability to just "run over" to see the Dickens exhibitions this spring. Hope to read more about those on your blog! Will have to check out Jane Smiley's biography of Dickens -- another brilliant author. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanne, I have probably read A Tale of Two Cities a hundred times
    "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...it is a far, far better thing I do than I have even done..."
    ...it never fails to tug at my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so on the same page! I just wrote about Dickens as well. I have a collection of antique copies of A Christmas Carol and try to reread that one every festive season.

    Loved Little Dorrit, too. Can you believe the evil guy was the same man who played Gollum in LOTR?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't choose. Love them all. I was given a dvd collection on my birthday, but still haven't had time to watch them.

    Would love to see the Little Dorrit version - you had me at Matthew MacFadyen! I still haven't gotten over the fact that I liked him in Pride & Prejudice. Who would have known that other men than Mr. Firth could be good in that role? I would have stared along with you, had I been there, Jeanne.

    My sister and I visited Dickens' house years ago when we were in London. Danish author H. C. Andersen visited Dickens and his family once - Andersen loved being there, but the Dickens' were so tired of him and couldn't wait for him to leave!:-D There is a theatre play (maybe only in Danish?) that portrays Andersen's stay with Dickens. Very funny. Andersen believes that he speaks English very well, but Dickens can't understand half of what he is saying.

    I think there is a commemorative plaque for Andersen somewhere in the Dickens' back garden, but perhaps I'm confusing things. Off to check photos - I have probably taken a picture of it, if it were there:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend and I decided a couple of years ago that we were going to read through Dickens' works in chronological order. We made it to Barnaby Rudge, and gave up, over sheer frustration over Dickens' early tendancy to write completely absurd characters. That being said, though, I love many of his more serious works, including Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, and Old Curiosity Shop. I've not yet read Little Dorrit, but perhaps in 2012....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Expectations continues to be a favorite. I'm currently reading Claire Tomalin's biography of Dickens and it is excellent.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget