Artistic expression @ Tate Modern


I took my daughter to the Tate Modern yesterday, an international and modern art gallery along the Thames river. I was only to happy to take her as it is one of my favourite places. We wanted to see the Gerhard Richter: Panorama exhibit. We made good use of our time and visited all the exhibits on show. I made my way to some of my favourites and was only to happy to discover a few more. 

Two portraits below are by British artist, Meredith Frampton (1894-1984) and the other
by Pablo Picasso. I looked at Picasso's painting and thought it reflected how I felt post holiday rush. I then turned to Frampton's work and felt the calmness of his work...particularly the one of Marguerite Kelsey.


Marguerite Kelsey, 1928 by Meredith Frampton (1894-1984)
image~me


Portrait of a Young Woman, 1935 by Meredith Frampton (1894-1984)
Note: image taken by me and as a result, it has the reflection of the window
 behind me. I think it adds another interesting dimension to the image. :)

Bust of a Woman, 1944 by Pablo Picasso
Portrait of photographer, Dora Maar.
Image taken by me via Instagram

The Gerard Richter exhibit represents five decades of the artists life. I was fascinated by his choice in mediums and how varied they were from decade to decade. I admit I was a bit nervous as I passed into his 'grey era'. I had escaped into the Tate in search of colour after a few dreary grey days around London. I stared to laugh when I saw one grey painting after another...all interesting, but not quite the 'lift' I was looking for. I then wandered into the next room and 'wow', an explosion of abstract colour was before me in the most interesting textures. It was a study of genius.  I have a fondness for the work of Robert Rauschenberg and Mark Rothko and felt as I looked upon Richter's work that they were kindred spirits in many ways. I wondered, if once upon a time, they knew each other. The room below had a large mirror on one wall. It added an interesting dimension to the room..the perfect touch.

image~ Yves Krier

If you follow me, you know I collect postcards and love sending them even more. I grabbed a couple of the image below...one of my favourites, Betty, a painting of the artists daughter as a young girl.

Betty, 1988 by Gerhard Richter
image via Gerhard Richter

Before I left the gallery, I watched a video of Gerhard Richter speaking about his art here. For a split second, I managed to catch him taking a photo of his work as he walked through the installation prior to the opening to the public. I wondered what he must have thought, seeing some of his work, sold years ago... before him once again. I love this photo, he taking a photo of his work with me taking a photo of him..via a monitor. It is the little things in life that give us such pleasure, this did it for me. :)

Gerhard Richter...photographing his work. image~me
The exhibit runs thru 8 January, you can read about it here.
and...if you fancy an evening walk along the Thames...you can visit me here.



Best wishes for a Bright and Happy New Year....
may it be filled with inspiration!!

Jeanne xx

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to go and see the Richter exhibition and still haven't managed it even though I'm a member of the Tate. Shocking, I know.

    Have a Happy New Year too!

    Helena xx

    PS. I loved your London images on your other site. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jeanne, thanks so much for the virtual tour. I adored it. Oh, to have been by your side! J x

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget