Discovering Sherlock Holmes


Sherlock...window gazing at the British Museum

I was doing a bit of 'I Spy' on my way to the British Museum the other day. I discovered a menagerie of Sherlock's in a tourist shop window, facing the British Museum. It made me think of all the mysteries hidden within the museum..so many, that I imagined Sherlock Holmes 'on the case' and having a time of it.

I have long been a fan of  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'Sherlock Holmes' mysteries. I should be honest and mention that my enjoyment has come from the TV/movie versions. Sad to say, I have not read his books...yet.

When it comes to TV/movie versions, I can not say that I have an all time favourite as I enjoy them all. At the end of the day, in the role of Sherlock Holmes, whether it be Robert Downey Jr, Benedict Cumberpatch or Jeremy Brett, they each have their own spin on the character and I find them all endearing. Jude Law, Martin Freeman and David Burke as the familiar Dr Watson play their roles brilliantly. It's all good fun!

Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Homes and Jude Law as Dr. Watson

via

via

Benedict Cumberpatch as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson

via

via

Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes and David Burke as Dr. Watson

via
via
Detail on all of the above, in My Shop Around the Corner, here.

The House of Silk by Anthony Horwitz, 
new to  my reading stack...read more here.

via


How about you? 
Do you go in for a bit of Sherlock and Watson? 
Have a favourite duo? Any recommendations? 
I love a good mystery....

7 comments:

  1. I have never been interested in Sherlock Holmes. But Hubs has got me addicted to the BBC series, and now I LOVE it. I especially love all the images of London (as we try and guess where it was filmed from our sofa in Spain). Can't wait to see the new film with Jude Law either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, Jeanne, that I did enjoy the modern portrayal of Sherlock by Benedict Cumberpatch much more than I thought I would. But, for me, there has never been anyone who nailed the role of Sherlock Holmes better than Jeremy Brett. I was thrilled to have met Brett before he died and to get him to autograph my copy of A.C. Doyle's "The Sign of The Four" which is now a most treasured volume in our library.--Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe...how lucky are you! A signed copy...I will have to get onto reading the books now. I am off to watch the third and last episode for season 2. The first episode was brilliant! I will say no more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanne, I am a big fan of the Sherlock Holmes series, though most of my exposure has been through films and television series. My favorite is Jeremy Brett, I don't think there has been a better portrayal of Holmes since then. The Robert Downey Jr. films are fun, but just not the same. I realize that I may have only read a couple of the stories over the years, and that after your post, I need to start reading these classic books. Thanks for the reminder. I also want to watch the newest production with Benedict Cumberpatch, who is one of my favorite English actors. There are so many....

    Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big Holmes fan, too and I'm very fond of the new ones. So glad they took a totally different look; it would be hard to remake the Bretts. Haven't bonded so much with the film, but still interested.

    You love a good mystery? Have you tried the Maggie Dobbs books by Jacqueline Winspear? Set in London, post WWI; she was a former nurse at the front, now detective.

    I'm seeing such lovely places in France on your blog labels. That's another country I love (and headed there in the spring, if all goes well). I think we just may be kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always a pleasure to meet a fan of Sherlock Holmes :)

    I liked 'The House of Silk' immensely. My favorite Holmes-Watson teamup is Vasily Livanov-Vitaly Solomin in the Russian adaptation. I would highly recommend the same to you, if you like a canonical adaptation!

    Have you read the book "Bending the Willow: Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes" by David Stuart Davies. This book is a must read for fans of the Granada adaptation and/or Jeremy Brett.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget