Sentimental in Russell Square

 With six months left before moving on from England to Vietnam, 
I start to notice the little things. Normally, when I step off the London Tube, 
my first glance goes to the direction of the 'Way Out' sign. 
You have to act quick to make sure you slot into the pace of the masses. 
Yesterday, I stepped out of the tube and stopped. Lucky for me it was a quiet morning.
There was something about this sign that made me want to reach out and hug it.
I should mention, that when moving countries is on the horizon, one tends to get emotional. 
I take that as a good sign as it heightens ones interest and makes you 
appreciate everything around you...even a sign in a tube stop. :)



I stepped off at Russell Square, and thought how much I enjoy 
seeing the older Tube stops. The ones that have not been swept into the Olympic frenzy. 
I like to think Russell Square and others like it will stay just as they are. 


I was on my way to the Charles Dickens Museum. In addition to being
mad about Sherlock Holmes, I am equally enamoured with the life
and times of Charles Dickens. I have lots to share on that front...soon.


If you would like to meet Alice and Albert 
and read my latest suggestions for
English books and TV/cinema, read on...

The arrival of Alice and Albert from India... here
Globetrotting style..here
Having one foot in England and one foot in Vietnam...here
New finds in English books here and TV/cinema here 

Thanks so much for stopping by...it is always nice to meet up 
with a friend or two here. Best wishes for a lovely weekend.

Jeanne :)

images~me

9 comments:

  1. With photography I learned from the pros that seemingly ordinary things can be meaningful like those signs. I tried to take certain signs during my travel.

    Only lately have I been reading Charles Dickens. I finished Great Expectations and The Life of Our Lord. I’m reading at present The Pictures from Italy and David Copperfield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lovely posts always make me homesick. What a pity I am arriving back in the UK just as you leave :-(
    It's so true that as soon as we make the decision to leave a country, we notice all the beautiful details we just ignored, and never appreciated before.
    I read Dickens at school, and it is sometimes when we are turned off authors with the constant post-mortems are literature teachers make us participate in. But I've just ordered Great Expectations (will be my first Dickens book in 30+ years) and I'm quite excited. Have a lovely weekend Sweets xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the London subway. Saw these and thought of you http://www.etsy.com/listing/86828570/handkerchiefs-2-silk-screened-sneezy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sign. I know you will miss London, but I am equally certain that you will have grand adventures ahead. And if you love Dickens, you may be interested in "Two Histories of England" Written by Dickens and Jane Austen. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking us along on all the wonderful treats of England ... in your last six months.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Years ago my sister and I visited the Dickens Museum. The docent mentioned almost as an aside that one day Dickens stopped speaking to his wife leaving her broken hearted. We were stunned. I am now reading Claire Tomalin's biography of Dickens (which is excellent) so I will finally be able to get the full story on that very unhappy time.

    Glad to know you are living life to the fullest whilst still in England.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happiness is indeed a journey not a goal and living is immensely preferable to existing...or so my Granny told me. It would seem you have learn to garner all things along the way... I am looking forward to discover all that you gleem (through lenses) in the next months!
    God speed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeanne, I visited the Dickens museum and really enjoyed it. Which reminds me to read the new biography which I hear is very good. I am glad you are revisiting your favorite spots. Have a wonderful week!
    xx Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving England as I do, I think I'm going to love digging in to this one, Jeanne! So glad to have connected!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget