An English Painting and an American Passage...

'A Summer's Day' by Percy William Gibbs (1895-1925)
via Country Life magazine, February 8 2012

I came across this painting by Percy William Gibbs this morning....I took one extra sip of my coffee
  and came right to the computer. I had a feeling many readers of this blog would relate to this painting in the same way that I did...a flood of novelists and stories came to mind.  One in particular, 
by American writer, Louisa May Alcott and 'Little Women'.

"The pleasant room in the house was set aside for Beth, and in it was gathered everything
 that she most loved, -flowers, pictures, her piano, the little worktable, and the beloved pussies.
 Father's best books found their way there, mother's easy-chair, Jo's desk, Amy's find sketches;
 and every day Meg brought her babies on a loving pilgrimage, to make sunshine for Aunty Beth.
 John quietly set apart a little sum, that he might enjoy the pleasure of keeping the invalid supplied
 with the fruit she loved and longed for...and from across the sea came little gifts and cheerful letters, seeming to bring breaths of warmth and fragrance from lands that knew no winter. 


Percy William Gibbs (1895-1925) was a landscape painter, residing in East Molesey, Surrey. Just around the corner from where I live. He regularly exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1894 to 1937. The painting above, 'A Summer's Day', is available for viewing and for sale at John Noott Galleries in Worcestershire. More information on this painting is available here.

One more, before I go...another by Percy William Gibbs, although, this one is a mystery.
I could not find the home for this one...but is surely conjures up many possibilities for a story.

'By The Pond' by Percy William Gibbs (1895-1925)
source
Now it is your turn...
what does this painting make you think of?


On that note... 
I wish for you..a wonderful weekend, 
filled with your heart's desires.

Jeanne xx

5 comments:

  1. so beautiful jeanne! thanks for sharing these with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. She reminds me very much of Evelyn Nesbitt -- but I can't imagine Evelyn Nesbitt sitting so quietly in such a beautiful and pastoral location! I certainly wish I was there, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to read your blog always Jeanne. Coming up at Tate this month sisomething entirely different but equally interesting,perhaps not so romantic -Picasso and British aert.. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one, By the Pond, doesn't have the same contrast of light and dark as A Summers' Day has. I think she is sitting there thinking about a young man she's just met. Is she interested or not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Little Women and Little Men. I'm sure that if I could find my original copies the pages would be quite dog-eared and worn. I dearly loved Jo and wanted to have inky fingers and a strong demeanor just like her.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget