A Queen and her Diamond Jubilee


February 1952...Legendary hunter Jim Corbett wrote in Treetops' visitors' book: 

"A young girl climbed into a tree one day a Princess 
and after having what she described 
as her most thrilling experience, 
she climbed down from the tree next day 
a Queen-- God Bless her". '







Call me a romantic, but I just loved reading the passage above.
So much so, that it prompted me to write this post. I read it in my favourite weekly magazine,
Country Life. It arrives in my post box on Wednesdays, a sign that a cup of tea is in order to read it.
I have declared to Mr. H that when we move onto Vietnam in July, one luxury must go with us....
my weekly subscription to Country Life magazine and stash of Fortnum and Mason English tea.


This issue (February 1, 2012) is a keeper 
as it is full of details for The Queen's upcoming Diamond Jubilee. 
I am sure there will be more coverage to follow.



 I have highlighted a few events that appeal to me.
If I am lucky, they will suit you as well.

The top of my list in London... 
with links to tickets..
'Queen Elizabeth II by Cecil Beaton: A Diamond Jubilee Celebration'
Opening 8 February at the V&A, London



Followed by..
'Leonardo da Vinci: Anatomist'
The Queens Gallery, Buckingham Palace
27 April to 9 September


'The Queen: Art and Image'
The National Portrait Gallery and touring
17 May-21 October


'Diamonds: A Jubilee Celebration'
The Summer Opening of Buckingham Palace
31 July to 30 September


June 3
The Big Jubilee Lunch
 'Lunch parties, picnics and street parties
will be encouraged to bring communities together.
The event is being organised by the Big Lunch.'


The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant
'Up to 1,000 boats from around the world will form a flotilla
and travel down the Thames from Putney to Tower Bridge
led by The Queen travelling in the Royal Barge- The Spirit of Chartwell- 
decked out as a 17th/18th-century royal gallery. The procession
will be accompanied by the ringing of church bells, fireworks and music.
The event is being organised by The Diamond Jubilee Foundation '


June 4
The BBC Concert at Buckingham Palace
'Will be televised and tickets are available to UK residents by public ballot.
The programme will feature musicians from Britain and the Commonwealth.'


Jubilee Beacons
'Across the country, 2012 beacons will be lit and there will be others on the Channel islands,
the Isle of Man and across the Commonwealth. The Queen will light the National Beacon
as she did in 2002 and there will be Church Tower beacons on the battlements
of the Tower of London, St James's Palace, London and The Palace of Holyroodhouse,
Edinburgh and Killyleagh Castle, Northern Island, among many others.'

Are you feeling what I am feeling??
It's going to be fun!

via

PS..
For those of you who wondered about Jim Corbett  (1875-1955), as I did.
He was a British hunter, conservationist, author and naturalist.
He was an avid photographerand was famous for slaying a large number
of man-eating tigers and leopards in India.

I enjoyed discovering Jim Corbett as well today too.
Just love this blogging business!


Credits:
Images and text from Country Life February 1, 2012 issue
Jim Corbett image here



--

4 comments:

  1. I'm a fellow Country Life fan, Jeanne, and I hope to join in some of the jubilation. I'll keep an eye out for you in London over my cream scones and gin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth was luckier than I. I left Treetops as I entered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, first, that Country Life cover is stunning. I'll have to pick up one of those when I'm in London, too! And thanks for the list of activities -- perhaps we can hit that V&A exhibit. I'd love to see the Beatons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... great post ... I just reserved a copy from our newstand in Connecticut ... we are a week behind .. I LOVE Country Life .. thanks so much for featuring this issue, sometimes they sell out before I can get there. Best

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget