A Woman and her Craft: Claire Brewster




I came across the most exquisite creations and wrote to Claire Brewster to ask if I could share them with you. I should first admit that I am a bird lover of the oddest kind. My kids call me the 'bird lady', I like to collect anything that has to do with birds, even soundtracks. Strange, I know, but when you move countries often, and find that each has their own individual sound...you sometimes miss the sounds of another.



Claire creates from nature in more ways than one. She takes her inspiration from the environment she lives in...London. Her installations represent flora and fauna from the world around her and imagined locations. " Her birds, insects and flowers transcend borders and pass freely between countries with scant regard for rules of immigration or the effects of biodiversity". As an Expat, I can relate to this. :)
"Claire Brewster's work is about retrieving the discarded, celebrating the unwanted and giving new life to the obsolete. Claire uses old and out of date maps and atlases as her fabric with which to create her intricate, delicate and detailed cut outs"
It is the intricacy and delicacy of her work that I find so appealing...and...the whimsical names she puts to each piece.

If you are interested in learning more about Claire's work, you can view her site here or write to her... mail@clairebrewster.co.uk


'Whatever you got, I want it'


'I have seen the great bear, I have'
'Hornsey Rises'

'From a Dark Heart'


'Hackney Bug'
'Humming over London'
'Rain Rose'
'Don't Spoil It For The Rest Of Us (Zebra Finches)'

                                               Claire isn't the only 'craft bird' in the nest..
(sorry,  I know it's silly, but I just had to say it...call it 'bird lady' speak)

More inspiring women and their craft...
                                                                  Artist, Kate Mears
                                                     Textile Designer, Charlene Mullen
                                                               Artist, Aida Tomescu
                                                               Women and their Craft
                                                            A Room for Arts and Craft
                                                             
A Woman and her Garden

Images and mentioned text from Claire Brewster website 

6 comments:

  1. Just exquisite. Look forward to checking out the links, thanks for ending my day with such a beautiful post. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed at the huge world of creativity out there! As an artist myself, I know we are a special group, but our group is so large! It's wonderful to see the VARIETY of gifts the human race has been given. Thanks for sharing.

    As I have always wanted to live in England for an extended time, I so appreciate your ability to do so, and all that you share with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne,

    What a fantastic find! I love these birds. I must go over from here to check out these talented artists that you have listed.

    I hope the trip was fabulous! Looks like you enjoyed your time in NY.

    If you have a minute I have "tagged you" along with 11 other bloggers. I know that you are incredibly busy so if you do not have time to "play" no problem. I will be posting the Tag tomorrow.

    Have a wonderful day!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! what ingenious designs. So many talented people we don't know about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm loving this! I'm a bird-girl too, though not nearly so much. I believe I'd heard her name, but I know I've never seen this art before -- it's drop dead gorgeous. LOVE the technique of using the maps as a substrate. Thank you so much for posting this one and introducing me to someone (several someones) new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear 'Bird Lady'

    I just found your blog ..... because I was looking for bird realted musings! I too am enchanted by them, big, small, tame or wild. I love these birds you have shared, and must see some of her work. I've been making butterflies and dragonflies from an old A-Z but her birds are much better than my things! Thank you for sharing ..... and now I am off to read mroe of your blog. x

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget