Exploring Oxford, England


I took the kids to Oxford on Sunday, 
to poke around the University of Oxford and surroundings. 
It was one of those last minute, spontaneous affairs.
I had been before, in 1982 and am happy to report, 
it is still as magical as I remembered.
One thing I did learn on this trip, you can not 'do' Oxford in an afternoon, 
at least by my calculations. Oxford is like a good book, 
the kind of book you look forward to at the end of the day. 
You need to slowly turn the pages, reflecting on what you just read. 
It is the anticipation of what is to come that is the most rewarding. 
Losing yourself in the story is essential. 

At this point, my kids would be rolling their eyes. 
We had a difference of opinion in what we wanted to do which quickly made me realise, 
I need to go back on my own.

The kids wanted to steer clear of museums, cathedrals and historic buildings...
anything that would end up with mother needing to be dragged along. 
It was a beautiful day, so we all agreed to appreciate the view from the street.

I am showing my favourite photos, they are not so much 'scenes of Oxford' 
but personal vignettes. My eye on Oxford so to speak.
I will start and end with my favourite photos, they remind me of a book I cherish,
 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn'. The tree of heaven...















If you would like to explore Oxford and Oxfordshire 
yourself one day, you can research it here.
Original post..here.

Photographs by Jeanne Henriques


3 comments:

  1. I do love Oxford so much and you have captured it well! It is indeed quite vast, full of wonderful secret places & treausres which are impossible to see in a day. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what lovely photos. I love the one of the bicycle against the building especially. Next time we're in England, I'm determined to make it to Oxford. (I've been to Cambridge three times, but never Oxford.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are great! Oxford is one of the universities I want to see when I get the chance to visit England. I have always been fascinated with Western architecture and arts and your photos (as well as your blog in general) gives me an overview of what England is like. Thanks for keeping this blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget