A Royal Globetrotter and her Diamond Jubilee

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh in Tuvalu, South Pacific 1982
Picture: John Shelley/Rex Features  via
The Queen is a woman after my own heart.
She is the most travelled head of state in the world and by many
estimations the most travelled human being. 
Surely that would make her the most travelled woman in the world?

I recently picked up the book,  'The Royal Tour',
a Royal Collection Publication. It details tours and visits
 of Queen Elizabeth II as Head of the Commonwealth.

Book available via The Royal Collection here

Today marks 60 years on the throne and
261 official overseas visits and 96 state visits to 116 countries.
The Queen has never stood in a queue at Heathrow Airport
only because she does not have one. 
Her first trip abroad was to South Africa in 1947.

The Queen and a young boy in Nigeria, 1956
Picture: Rex Features via

In her 60 years as Queen, she has travelled to:
Algeria, Anguilla, Antigua, Australia, Austria
 Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bermuda
Botswana, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Brunei
Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Cocos Islands, Cook Islands, 
Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Dominica
Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France
Gambia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guyana
Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Italy
Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait
Latvia, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Luxembourg
Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Montserrat, Morocco
Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, 
Norfolk Island, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal
Qatar, Russia , Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, 
Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, South Korea, 
Spain, Sri Lanka, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent, Sudan, Sweden, 
Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, 
Turks and Caicos, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates, Uganda, 
United States of America, Vanuatu (New Hebrides), Vatican City
Western Samoa, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe

I have highlighted the countries I have travelled to over the years as a comparison.
There are a few missing for me and even then I could not imagine
 travelling to so many countries.  I secretly love the thought!

My hat goes off to possibly the most travelled woman in the world.
A Royal Globetrotter in her Diamond Jubilee year.

Travel information via The Telegraph here


For those of you who enjoy Royal watching, especially around the Diamond Jubilee,
I spent the day at Windsor Castle this week and have written about it on my other
blog Collage of Life. I know some of you only follow me on this blog.
To that end...for you...


Windsor Castle, William Shakespeare and England's Rose

In the spirit of the Diamond Jubilee
I spent the day at Windsor Castle on my own.
I had planned it that way...
I wanted to take my time and do it my way. :)


I learned many facts about Windsor Castle...
Built by William the Conqueror (r.1066-87)
It has stood it's ground for 900 years.
Today it is the largest occupied castle in the world.
Occupies 13 acres (5 hectares).

Official residence of The Queen
Often used by The Queen to host State Visits.
If you go, be sure to see: the State Apartments
On exhibition now, a must see..
You can visit Windsor Castle via video here.

St. George's Chapel holds the tombs of ten sovereigns 
including Henry VIII and his third wife Jane Seymour, 
and Charles I. Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, 
King Charles VI and Princess Margaret also lie buried in the Chapel.

The castle is so rich in history, it requires a good read and visit to take it all in.
I am not sure if even then, one could fully grasp the full scope of this magnificent castle.

Interior shots are not allowed...so I had to make due with what I discovered outside.
If you would like to explore Windsor Castle in more detail...start here.
I promise you, the interior is most definitely worth a visit.

My discoveries....
Up, up and away.. after all, it is a castle. :)




     "Oh Romeo, Romeo...wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love
And I'll no longer be a Capulet." 
William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet 

Windsor Castle has a way of making you think like that.




Here lies the Moat Path which leads to the Moat Garden.




Since the eighteenth century, the moat surrounding the 
Round Tower has featured an ornamental garden.



It is one of those scenes that leaves you grounded to your spot...
for the want of taking in every detail.





 There is so much to take in.... it is just a matter of what resonates with you most.

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date".
William Shakespeare, Sonnet 18





                                              Juliet:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet. "
William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet



                      Before passing through The Norman Gate, I looked to my right...


 and up the stairs to something that intrigued me..


I zoomed...


 and zoomed....


and zoomed...until I found my prize.
A garden statue... a knight of the Round Table perhaps?
I like to think of it as King Arthur standing guard over
his garden kingdom. Yes, I know it is a bit corny...but
it's a castle and I enjoy stories of lore, so there you go. 


and Salisbury Cathedral have been among my favorites places of worship to visit. 
I have to say, St. George's Chapel has now been bumped to the top of my list.


The present Chapel started under the guidance of Edward IV in 1475 
and was completed under Henry VIII in 1528. Dates which are inconceivable to me, 
until I stepped into the Chapel. You need to sit down when you enter, it is that beautiful.
From the Royal tombs and memorials to The Most Noble Order of the Garter, it is captivating.




The Albert Memorial Chapel, an adjunct to St. George Chapel 
is to commemorate Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria.



                        Malvollo:
"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon 'em."
William Shakespeare, Twelth Night




I left Windsor Castle not as I entered. I have a much finer
appreciation for the history of England and it's Queen.
To that end, I offer the words to "Rose of England"
with thoughts of the Diamond Jubilee and Queen Elizabeth.
'Thou shalt blossom to the end of time.'

Christopher Furlong/Getty Images

Rose of England
Grown in one land alone
Where proud winds have blown
There's not a flower born of the shower
Braver than England's own
Though gales of winter blow
Piercing hail and snow
Shining she stays bright as in the days of yore
Old England's pride still blossoms
Fresh on England's shore

Rose of England thou shall fade not here
Proud and bright from growing year to year
Red shall thy petals be as rich wine untold
Share by thy warriors who served thee of old
Rose of England breathing England's air
Flower of chivalry beyond compare
While hand and heart endure to cherish they prime
Thou shalt blossom to the end of time

Rose of England breathing England's air
Flower of liberty beyond compare
While hand and heart endure to cherish they prime
Thou shalt blossom to the end of time

Written by Ivor Novello, 1937



One last note...in an earlier post, I could not make up my mind
which commemorative items to purchase. If you are looking for
a special item have a look here. I found what I was looking for. 

via

Best wishes to one and all for a lovely weekend!
Happy Jubilee!

Jeanne xx

images~jeanne
except where noted


6 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful Jeanne, thanks for sharing your day...

    Bestest
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I had no idea the Queen was the most travelled head of state. I am watching all the celebrations from my home in Spain but SO wishing I could be in my home city right now :-(
    Hope the weather doesn't dampen celebrations too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your shots of the garden are fabulous -- and I love Elizabeth II in red! (wish she'd worn it today...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun time to be in England. And that is an impressive number of countries that YOU have been to, Jeanne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The queen has certainly taken her role to heart and done a wonderful job. Thanks for the Windsor Castle pics and info. My husband and I were there right before Diana died. Wish we could have spent more time there. I remember the fire, and the guide at the castle said it started with a lightbulb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. windsor castle and your photos are so so so beautiful, thanks so much for sharing! and wow, you've been to a lot of places, that is amazing! i think the queen is truly inspiring, can you imagine doing the same things for 60 years?! what an incredible woman she is. :)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    $100 Shopbop Gift Card Giveaway -- Open internationally!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget